Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Thrifted Style - The Blanket Cape

Tribal prints are everywhere right now.  They have been popular for all for seasons - bright bold  pants and skirts, sweaters, and vibrant tops.  I have had a tribal printed sweater on my clothing wish list for awhile and I was stoked when I saw this blanket cape that was just be hung on the racks at my local Salvation Army Family Thrift Store!!


I quickly snatched it up and continued shopping.  Before I decide I check out, I always go through what I have picked up and either try the items on or examine each piece for holes and stains.  Once I got this cape home, I then had to decide how I should wear this thing.

I'm not a big belt person.  I try, but most of the time I take it off before I go out the door.  I think part of it is because I'm long waisted and so I think a belt throws of my body proportions.  Another reason is that nothing stays tucked in for me.  Shirts usually tend to be a bit short on me and pants tend to set lower on me, therefore the top half never meets the bottom half right!!

I first tried belting the entire cape - bad idea!!  The cape is much too full to be belted.  Then I tried belting the back half of the cape.  My wide black belt was exposed on the back half of the cape and then I ran the belt on the inside past the sleeves.  Still too bulky for my liking.  Then I tried belting around front half of the cape and running the belt on the inside of the cape in back past the sleeves.  Perfection!!


I also played with what to wear on the bottom half.  I first tried on black leggings and boots.  Figured out I'm so not that person.  I may try it again with leggings and ballet flats in the spring.  Then again, maybe not.  I went with my basic skinny jeans and short brown boots.  I could also where this with tall black or brown boots as well.


I attended a conference this weekend and this cape was a perfect layer for the fluctuating temperatures.  I wrapped myself up pretty tight at one point!!  


My final accessory is this gorgeous necklace that I picked up at World Market this year.  It is from BelJoyHaiti.



No comments:

Post a Comment