Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sunday Style - Grandma's Style

I only have one grandmother still living and I know she won't be with us much longer.  When she passes from this world, stories won't be told, memories won't be shared, and a part of who I am will go with her.  I've been told since the day I was born, that I looked like my momma.  There's really no denying it, but I come from a long line of look alikes - I look like my momma, who looks like her momma, and her momma looks like her momma.  It's easy to tell the physical likenesses, but there's lots of emotional and psychological likenesses too.  As I get older, more and more of those likeness pop up, in some of the craziest ways.  Most of the time, I embrace it.   I love feeling closer to my lineage when I hear my name linked to theirs.

My Grandma Sugar is an amazing woman.  She was born right at the start of the Great Depression, married my Grandpa at a very young, raised three children, and experience the best and worst life has to offer.  She's a lover of birds, flowers, movies, books, and her family.  She still misses my Grandpa terribly, he has been gone for almost 10 years.  

The name Grandma Sugar came to be when my older brother was little.  Grandma would call him Sugar, and Shawn just thought that was her name, so Grandma became Grandma Sugar.  I think my siblings and I are the only ones who still call her Grandma Sugar.  

I have always loved my Grandma's style.  Her photo albums are full of the amazing clothes she made and wore.  A few months ago, my mom brought down a dress of Grandma's.  She had made it back in the day.  Mom also brought some of the left over material, so I can make Hope a dress or skirt!!  Mom wasn't sure when she wore it, but I didn't care - she wore it, and now I get to wear it!!


The dress is simple and lovely!!  I paired it with a thrifted braided belt and wedges.  I even wore a fun pair of Grandma Sugar's earrings.  


I'm not sure what Grandma Sugar would say about my blue nail polish though!!


Thanks Grandma Sugar for all ways you have enriched my life!!  I love you!!

Enjoy your Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment