Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Thrifted Style - Hello 40!!

I wanted to wear something fun at my 40th birthday party and I was beyond thrilled when I stumbled upon this gorgeous vintage dress, while helping some friends shop at my local Salvation Army Store.


This dress is SO me!!  It's black and white, it's vintage, and it has polka dots,  stripes, and butterflies!!  I was in LOVE!!  It also fit perfectly!!  I think it was made for me!!

When I got it home, I noticed some staining on the skirt and I decided to soak the dress over night to see if I could get the stains out.  When I woke up the next morning, I was mortified to see that the black from the bodice had now bled all over the skirt.  I was sick to my stomach.  I tried a few of my laundry tricks and nothing worked.  I let it air dry and then I got on Pinterest to see if anyone had an ideas.  I found a few options - color safe bleach and Carbona Color Run Remover.

The Carbona Color Run Remover (around $3) was absolutely amazing.  I followed the directions and within minutes, my water was black, but not my dress!!  I did a happy dance!!  I decided that the former owner had dyed a strapless bra and then sewed it into the bodice of the dress  and I didn't take into account all the dye that was not rinsed out properly.


My friend, Jenelle rocked out my hair, makeup, and nails.  I felt like a million bucks in my $5.99 dress.  I added a pair of  $3.99 shoes, and $1.99 purse!!  A total of 11.97!!



I will be wearing this dress for years to come and think fondly about the first night I wore it!!


2 comments: