Wednesday, August 19, 2015

We're Off to See the Wizard

One of the things on my BIG 4-0 list, was going to a winery.  I know absolutely nothing about wine and rarely drink any alcohol.  I have wanted to go to a winery for several years, but just never made it happen.

My friend, Jenelle, set up for us to go to  The Oz Winery in Wamego, Kansas - a quaint little town between Topeka and Manhattan.

Jenelle took the scenic route to Wamego.  It was new country for me and I love that the drive reminded me of going home to northeast Missouri.  Wamego has a beautiful city park, an Oz Museum, and a charming downtown area.

We first stopped in at The Friendship House for lunch.  It was packed!!  The food was delicious and the setting was quite lovely.




The Friendship House is right across the street from the city park which was adorable - fountains, gorgeous flowers, a windmill, and bike trail.  






Then it was off to Oz!!  We each purchased a pick 5 flight!!  The hardest part was picking 5 wines that I wanted to try since I had no idea what in the world I was doing!!  Thankfully Jenelle and Karen were a little more knowledgeable about wines, so they helped me out!!


The names and wine labels were straight from the land of Oz.  I selected Yellow Brix, Fraidy Cat, Auntie Em's Prairie Rose, Squished Witch, and Surrender.


The winery also had cheeses, crackers, and truffles to add to our flight.  We added some cheese and crackers and some heavenly truffles!!  

At first, I thought all the wines might taste the same, but I was wrong.  My absolute favorite was the Fraidy Cat - a sweet Vignoles brimming with tropical fruit (just know - that means nothing to me!!)  The worst was a wine that Jenelle and Karen thought would be a favorite, Surrender - a sherry with notes of caramel, toffee, honey, and butterscotch.  Let's just say it was a big ole' YUCK!!

I had so much fun day feeling all sophisticated and grown up!! 


I truly enjoyed my day with some girlfriends and would totally check out another winery, if anyone has any suggestions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment