Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Thrifted Style - Playing with Patterns

For years, I avoided mixing patterns.  It's not that I wouldn't try, I just would usually change into something else before leaving the house!!

Finally, I have learned to be a bit more confident in clothing choices.  I feel like I have had a big metamorphosis in the way I dress.  In my teen years, all I wanted to do was fit in with my clothing, but couldn't because we just couldn't afford what everyone else was wearing.  In my twenties, it was all about comfort while chasing the babies around.  In my thirties is where I think I finally found my groove.  I started experimenting with colors, patterns, new items and thrifted items.  I learned to appreciate this body God made through the thick and thin years.  I played with my hair - color and lots of different cuts.

Now I feel like I have a formula to the way I dress.  I will pick out one item I want to wear, then I will think of three way I could wear it.  Sometimes I try all on three options, but usually I'm pretty good at visualizing what I think it will look like. I know what pieces of clothing work well with my frame and I've also figured out what brands to thrift.


For this outfit, I picked out my Old Navy t-shirt first, then I layered it my St. Johns Bay jacket, and added my thrifted Gap jeans.  Next, I decided to add my garage sale scarf because it was a bit chilly, but I would be running in and out of stores.  If it became too much I would just tie it around my purse or leave it in the van.  Finally, I added my thrifted Toms for as a comfortable shopping option.  The weather was just a tad warmer then it had been, so I opted for the Toms instead of my go to boots.


For accessories, I simply added a pair of earrings that I have been wearing a ton lately.  They were a replacement pair for a pair of Premier Jewelry earrings that broke.  They have a great lifetime guarantee and so I was able to replace them for just $5.  I absolutely love them. 


I have been on the hunt for an olive green utility jacket for at least two years.  I have hunted at every garage sale and every thrift store!!  I finally decided this fall, I would break down and by one at an actual retail store (gasp!!)  I scoured the internet and still couldn't find something I liked.  I also decide how much I want to pay for something before I go shopping for a specific item. I had a few requirements for purchasing my jacket - it had to be under $30, light weight, have a zipper and snaps, no hood and longer in length.  I was able to say yes to this option from JcPenney!!  

My outfit from head to toe cost right at $50!!  

What do you think about playing around with patterns??

No comments:

Post a Comment